House Zoudenbalch

This house was built in 1467 by Evert Zoudenbalch, who was the canon treasurer of the Dom and provost of Maastricht. Behind the façade, various houses are combined into one. The façade, constructed using Namen stone, is extremely wide and has a Gothic appearance with its trefoils and pointed arches. The latches and merlons reinforce its mediaevel appearance. Since the 17th century, it has functioned as a conventicle, an orphanage and a technical school. In 1903, it was largely destroyed by an all-consuming fire, but during its renovation the original façade was meticulously renovated under the supervision of architect P.J.H. Cuypers

Address

Donkerstraat 15, 3511 HB Utrecht